Department of Mathematics
The first Chair of Mathematics was founded in 1922, concurrently with the University. Applied Mathematics gained independent status in 1968. The teaching of Computer Science was started in 1969, and extended after the establishment of its first professorship in 1973.
Today Mathematics and Applied Mathematics are closely tied together, with a common library, classrooms and computer lab. They have a total of 50 staff members. In 1988 the Computer Science section moved to the Turku Technology Center, called DataCity, which is a community for information processing education, research and business. In 2002 Computer Science became a part of a new department of Information Technology.
The Department is known for the high quality of its research in Discrete Mathematics. The main objective in undergraduate teaching, however, is to give a firm well-rounded mathematical education to all students.